Guide for Reuse, Repair, Recycling, and Safe Disposal
for Alameda County, Contra Costa County, and the City of Palo Alto

What do I do with:



Information is constantly changing! It's always a good idea to call ahead to verify hours and availability.

Motor Oil

This item is hazardous and requires proper disposal.

California Certified Used Oil Collection Centers will take used motor oil from the public and will pay you 40¢ a gallon. Most centers will take up to 5 gallons at a time. Used Motor Oil Certified Collection Center Drop-off Location Finder

Certified center managers will not accept used motor oil that has been contaminated with other fluids such as antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, or water. Bring contaminated motor oil to a Household Hazardous Waste Facility. See the Used Motor Oil Fact Sheet for more information.

Boat Waste resources: Boating Clean & Green, Pumpout Nav App, SF Bay Clean Boating Map, Bilge Care & Preventing Oil Spills


Clyde accepts this item, but don't put it in your bins.

Put motor oil in clear plastic container like a milk jug. Tape lid to close it securely. Max 3 gal. of oil per pickup. Place oil beside your recycling container.

Concord accepts this item, but don't put it in your bins.

Call 925-682-9113 to request a free 6-quart oil container. MDRR will drop one off to you. Once it is full, call MDRR and they will pick it up.

Questions? Comments?   We're here to help!      Get in touch!

Additional Tools

  • Item Search
  • Vendor Search
  • Information for Vendors

Grab the mobile apps for answers on the go:

Download on the App Store
Get it on Google Play
Brought to you by A public agency reducing waste in Alameda County since 1976.