Guide for Reuse, Repair, Recycling, and Safe Disposal
for Alameda County, Contra Costa County, and the City of Palo Alto

Information is constantly changing! Call ahead to verify hours and availability.

Flares - Marine

This item is hazardous and requires proper disposal.

Boaters must replace single-use marine flares (pyrotechnic) when flares reach their expire date.

We suggest replacing pyrotechnic (explosive) signal devices with battery powered devices whenever allowed. See CPSC @MarineFlareSwitch for information and discounts on electronic visual distress signals.

Recreational boaters should contact their regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility for disposal options. If pyrotechnic marine flares are old, damaged or military-type contact HHW staff directly before transporting.

A commercial vessel, organization or agency that has marine flares in need of disposal should seek services of a hazardous waste management company.

Boat Waste resources: Boating Clean & Green, Pumpout Nav App, SF Bay Clean Boating Map, Bilge Care & Preventing Oil Spills. Recreational Boaters in Alameda County (click here for more information).

Be alerted to future expired marine flare collection events here.


Questions? Comments?   We're here to help!      Get in touch!

Additional Tools

  • Item Search
  • Vendor Search
  • Information for Vendors

Grab the mobile apps for answers on the go:

Download on the App Store
Get it on Google Play
Brought to you by A public agency reducing waste in Alameda County since 1976.