Paints and paint-related products contain hazardous chemicals and should never be poured down the drain or thrown in the garbage.
- Many paint and hardware stores accept “architectural paints” such as house paint and primers, stains, sealers, and clear coatings (e.g., shellac and varnish) for recycling for Free. Visit PaintCare Inc. for a list of disposal locations.
- Paint and paint-related products can be disposed of at Hazardous Waste Facilities in
- Dispose of dry and empty paint cans with the lids off in a recycling bin.
- Hazardous Waste Facilities accept: oil-based paint, water-based paint, latex paint, spray paint, stains, varnish, thinner, remover, and adhesives.
- The Green Product Directory provides an independent source of trusted green home improvement products and detailed tips.