Alameda County’s Online Guide for Reuse, Repair, and Recycling

What do I do with:



Needles & Syringes

It is illegal for needles and other sharps to be placed into trash or recycling containers since they could cause an injury. “Sharps” is a medical term for devices with sharp points or edges that can puncture or cut skin. Examples of sharps include needles, syringes, lancets, auto injectors (such as EpiPens), and infusions sets.

Sharps must be placed in a FDA-cleared sharps disposal container immediately after they have been used. FDA-cleared sharps disposal containers are available at most chain pharmacies and drugstores. Check with your health provider for information about disposal containers at the time your prescription is written. If you have difficulty finding a container call Household Hazardous waste at 800-606-6606.

Disposal Options:

  • Sharps can be dropped-off at any of the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste facilities.
  • Other drop-off options: many pharmacies, drugstores, and police stations offer drop-off kiosks, click for a full list. Make sure sharps are placed in a FDA-cleared sharps disposal container no greater than one gallon in volume.
  • Mail-back: Free FDA-cleared sharps containers may be obtained from Med-Project by phone at 1 (844) 633-7765 or online, order by clicking here
  • CalRecycle has additional information about sharps disposal.


Questions? Comments?   We're here to help!      Get in touch!

Brought to you by A public agency reducing waste in Alameda County since 1976.

Grab the mobile apps for answers on the go:

Download on the App Store
Get it on Google Play