Too many trimmings for your cart?
- Leave them out to dry such that you can get more in your cart.
- Talk to your neighbors and offer space in your carts when they need it for space in their green cart.
- Contact your curbside hauler about the possibility of buying bag tags to put trimmings in Kraft paper bags (from a hardware store or the hauler).
- If you regularly need the volume of more than 1 bin, your hauler may be able to provide this for residents for minimal to no cost.
- Hire lawn and yard service folks to drop them off at the transfer station for you, or drop them off yourself (fees apply).
Keep finished compost clean by not adding take-out food packaging, glass bottles & cans, street litter, pet waste, and plastics to the green cart. Turf belongs in the landfill; leave it in place with sheetmulching.
Finished compost is applied to agriculture and ranch lands to enhance water holding capacity, add nutrients and minerals, and sequester carbon in in soil. Houseplants, veggie gardens, and fruit trees, shrubs and vines thrive with compost added around the base of plants on top of the soil. Learn more at lawntogarden.org.