Your Online Guide for Reuse, Repair, Recycling, and Safe Disposal
Serving Alameda County, Contra Costa County, and the City of Palo Alto

What do I do with:



Wood - Treated

Treated wood is wood treated with a chemical for the purpose of resisting decay. Examples include pressure-treated dimensional lumber, creosote-treated railroad ties, and telephone poles.

Household Hazardous Waste

This item should never be put in a curbside bin. For more information visit our household hazardous waste page.

Pressure treatedpreserved wood, or treated wood waste (including the sawdust), referred to as TWW, has preserving chemicals like arsenic. Common uses of TWW are fence posts, sill plates, landscape timbers, pilings, guardrails, decking, and railroad ties. has fact sheets and outreach materials on the appropriate handing, disposal, and other management of TWW for facilities that may receive or handle treated wood waste.

Painted, engineered, stained, laquered, plywood/composite, and wood painted with "copper green" wood may go in the garbage. 



Vendor Address City Destination Disposal Method Notes
Altamont Landfill (WM, Inc.) 10840 Altamont Pass Rd. Livermore Safe Disposal Paid Drop-off DTSC variance received. Call or email them asking for the Treated Wood Waste (TWW) Form and the how-to TWW email. Do leave your email for them to get back to you. Customers (anyone wanting to drop-off TWW) will need to register for a new Express account with, complete and attach the form, and attach a copy of your variance. Note: Residents that hire a contractor to work on their home (e.g., fence repair or deck replacement) do not require a TWW variance provided that the contractor transports the TWW for disposal. Request a price quote.

Curbside Service

Questions? Comments?   We're here to help!      Get in touch!

Brought to you by A public agency reducing waste in Alameda County since 1976.

Grab the mobile apps for answers on the go:

Download on the App Store
Get it on Google Play