Your Online Guide for Reuse, Repair, Recycling, and Safe Disposal
Serving Alameda County, Contra Costa County, and the City of Palo Alto

What do I do with:




Curbside Service Information

Select your county and service area below to view information about your curbside collection service.



Waste Management of Alameda County (WMAC Emeryville)

Residential: 510-613-8710
Commercial: 510-613-8700

  • Aerosol Can - Empty
  • Aluminum Foil & Pans - Clean
  • Cardboard
  • Glass Bottles & Jars - Non-CRV
  • Glass Bottles - CRV
  • Newspaper
  • Paper
  • Paper Carton Containers - Plastic-coated
Show All Items
  • Aerosol Can - Empty
    Use up before putting in recycling.
  • Aluminum Cans - CRV
    Empty and drip-free.
  • Aluminum Foil & Pans - Clean
    Free of food and grease/oil, otherwise the foil and pans belongs in the trash.
  • Beverage Containers - Mixed
    Empty and drip-free.
  • Bimetal Cans - CRV
    Empty and drip-free. Wipe clean as needed.
  • Bimetal Cans - Non-CRV
    Empty, drip-free. Wipe clean as needed.
  • Books - Hard Cover - Non-working
    The paper pages are acceptable, remove cover. Covers go in the trash.
  • Books - Soft Cover - Non-working
    Poor, damaged condition.
  • Cardboard
    Cardboard should be clean and dry. Flatten, cut or fold to fit into cart or bin. If your recycling cart is full and you have extra cardboard, flattened corrugated carboard not exceeding 4’ x 4’ may be leaned against your recycling cart for collection. Other option: Offer collapsed moving boxes to community for reuse or sheet mulching.
  • Egg Cartons - Paper - Clean
    Clean paper or cardboard egg cartons accepted; polystyrene cartons go in the trash.
  • Envelopes - Paper
    Clear, plastic windows okay.
  • Frozen Food Boxes
    Clean and dry.
  • Glass Bottles & Jars - Non-CRV
    Empty and drip-free. Wipe clean as needed. Broken okay.
  • Glass Bottles - CRV
    Empty and drip-free.
  • Greeting Cards - Musical/Electronic Piece
    Remove electronic/musical element for reuse or ewaste. Recycle the paper card when free of plastic and/or metallic decoration (trash).
  • Junk Mail Opt-Out
    Clean and dry for recycling. Keep or photograph mailing labels to use when following online opt-out instructions from the resource vendors below, before recycling or dropping off desirable magazines (or seed catalogs) for sharing (ex. libaries, salons, waiting rooms, office lunchrooms).
  • Magazines
    Clean and dry. Collect good condition magazines to donate to teachers, libaries, salons, waiting rooms, office lunchrooms, friends & family.
  • Metal Cans - Non-CRV
    Empty and drip-free. Wipe clean as needed.
  • Newspaper
  • Packaged Foodgrade Liquids - Expired/ Non-working
    Empty contents down drain and recycle drip-free container with reattached lid.
  • Paint Cans & Buckets - Empty & Dry
    Only empty and dry paint cans are accepted. Remove lid, shake paint chunks out into garbage and place empty, dry paint can into recycling cart, do not attach lid. Containers with wet paint should be dropped off at locations.
  • Pallets - Wooden - Broken
    Remove nails and fit into cart or bin.
  • Paper
    Clean and dry. Covered in tape and paint? Then put it in the trash.
  • Paper Bags
    Clean and dry. Compost food-soiled paper bags.
  • Paper Carton Containers - Plastic-coated
    Milk cartons are accepted, empty and drip free.
  • Paperboard Boxes/Tubes
    Clean and dry. Consider collecting for reuse art and craft projects.
  • Personal Care & Beauty Packaging - Empty
    Empty and drip-free rigid plastics over 4" may go in the recycling. Other plastic packaging may go in the trash. Some brands offer take back of packaging for recycling.
  • Phonebooks
    Clean and dry.
  • Pill Bottles - Empty
    4 inches or bigger. Reattach plastic lid to plastic bottles.
  • Pizza Box - Non-greasy
    Clean and dry cardboard pizza boxes can be recycled. (If greasy, put in compost.) Remove plastic "pizza table" and place it in the trash.
  • Plastic Bottle - CRV
    Empty and drip-free.
  • Plastic Bottle - Non-CRV
    Empty, drip-free. Commercial size (5g max).
  • Plastic Lids & Caps - Bottles and Jars
    Caps reattached to empty plastic bottles may be recycled. Loose lids under 4" will not be captured for recycling and should be placed in trash.
  • Plastic Wide Mouth Container
    Empty and drip-free. Wipe clean as needed.
  • Pots & Pans - Non-working
    Poor, damaged condition are accepted, however, anything with a cord such as an electric skillet is not acceptable in recycling. For pots and pans, consider repairing or refurbishing if possible.
  • Rigid Plastics
    Empty and drip-free. Plastic bottles, tubs, jugs, and containers. Lids should be reattached or placed in the trash.
  • Scrap Metal
    Scrap metal not exceeding ten (10) pounds in weight nor two (2) feet in any dimension for any single item - acceptable. Must fit in container with lid closed.
  • Water Bottles - Reusable
    Broken, poor condition metal and plastic #1 & #2 water bottles go in recycling, others in the trash. Donate good condition clean and dry water bottles and lids.
  • Wrapping Paper - Non-Metallic
    Paper gift wrap that is not shiny, laminated, textured, or contains glitter is acceptable. Paper should be clean and dry.


Waste Management of Alameda County (WMAC Emeryville)

Residential: 510-613-8710
Commercial: 510-613-8700

Free Kitchen Pail Program for residental food scrap collection

  • Egg Cartons - Paper - Soiled
  • Food Scraps
  • Food Service Ware - Paper Products - Uncoated
  • Paper Towels & Napkins
  • Pizza Box - Greasy
  • Yard Trimmings & Plant Debris
Show All Items
  • Cardboard - Wet
    If food-soiled or wet, cardboard may go in the organics container. If clean and dry, place in recycling.
  • Cooking Oil/Grease/Fats
    Fats and grease wiped with a paper towel can go in the organics container. Small amounts of solid fats & grease in a paper container may also go in the organics container. For large volumes of used cooking oil, put in a container with a re-sealable cap and transport for drop-off at a collection facility.
  • Corks - Natural
    Consider collecting for future reuse craft/art projects or ReCork recycling collection bins.
  • Egg Cartons - Paper - Soiled
    Food soiled paper egg cartons go in the organics container. Clean and dry paper egg cartons go in Recycling. Egg cartons made of polystyrene go in the trash.
  • Facial Tissues - Used
  • Food Scraps
    Clean out the fridge. All food scraps OK including meat, condiments, vegetables, and spoiled food. Please separate food from any packaging or plastic wrap.
  • Food Service Ware - Paper Products - Uncoated
    Uncoated food soiled paper products are acceptable. Check for coating by looking for a surface sheen that indicates coating. Coating may be found on items such as cups, plates, or food take-out boxes.
  • Food Service Ware - Wood/Bamboo Products
    Accepted in Organics, but consider washing for reuse, or collecting enough reusables for events with family and friends.
  • Gift Tissue Paper
    Acceptable in organics, but consider saving tissue paper that's in good condition for reuse.
  • Grandma's Fruitcake
  • Hair and Fur Trimmings
  • Packaged Food - Expired/Non-working
    For expired foods, the food may go in the organics container, but not the packaging.
  • Pallets - Wooden - Broken
    Remove nails and fit into container with lid closed.
  • Paper - Shredded
    To prevent shredded paper from flying, they may be mixed with food scraps or moist yard waste. Shreds can also go in a paper bag. Fold, tape, or staple to keep shredded paper from flying out.
  • Paper Straws
  • Paper Towels & Napkins
  • Pizza Box - Greasy
    Please remove the plastic "pizza saver/table" and put it in the garbage.
  • Sawdust - Untreated Wood
    Shavings from clean, unpainted, stained wood. Not from composite/engineered wood like plywood or particle board, and blue pallet wood.
  • Sponges - Natural
    Natural sponges should be free of any detergents, solvents and chemicals.
  • Straw/Hay
  • Tea Bags
    Paper tea bags are acceptable, tea leaves are acceptable. However, nylon mesh tea bags belong in the trash.
  • Wax & Parchment Paper
    Wax paper is accepted in the organics container. However, since parchment and freezer paper are coated in plastic, those belong in the garbage.
  • Wood - Untreated
    Pieces must fit in cart or bin.
  • Wood Chips
  • Wood Scraps - Untreated
    Clean wood pieces free of paint and chemicals, cut to fit in the cart or bin are acceptable. However, composite, engineered, or bonded wood like plywood, particle wood, and blue pallet wood belong in the garbage.
  • Yard Trimmings & Plant Debris
    If your trimmings are too much for your bin, let them dry out a few days or wait until next pick up as the volume decreases over time.


Waste Management of Alameda County (WMAC Emeryville)

Residential: 510-613-8710
Commercial: 510-613-8700

  • Aseptic Packs
  • Condiment/Toiletry Packets - Empty
  • Food Service Ware - Compostable - BPI Certified Products
  • Food Service Ware - Plastic Clamshells/To-Go Containers/Trays
  • Food Service Ware - Plastic Utensils
  • Glassware - Decorative & Kitchen - Non-working
  • Light Bulbs - Incandescent/Halogen
  • Packing Peanuts - Styrofoam
  • Snack Packaging - Composite Film
  • Sponges - Synthetic
Show All Items
  • 6-Pack Rings
  • ABS Plastic
  • Agricultural Plastics & Film
    Farm quantity may have recycling options.
  • Air Mattress - Non-working
  • Aseptic Packs
    Empty and drip-free.
  • Ashes - Grill/Fireplace
    Cold ashes.
  • Auto Glass
    Damaged, broken condition.
  • Auto Upholstery - Non-working
  • Balloons - Used
  • Blueprint Paper
  • Boat Upholstery - Non-working
  • Bubble Envelopes - Paper or Mylar
  • Bubble Envelopes - Plastic
    Loose plastic jams recycling equipment. Accepted clean and dry in bag-of-bags grocery store drop-off.
  • Bubble Wrap
    Loose bubble wrap jams recycling equipment. Consider collecting for future reuse or donation. If collected as bag-of-bags for grocery store drop-off, must be clean and dry. Loose bubble wrap jams recycling equipment. Consider collecting for future reuse or donation.
  • Burlap
    NOT ACCEPTED IN ORGANICS/GREEN WASTE CONTAINER. Suggest: Collect, save, and/or offer for reuse in your community.
  • Camera Film & Slides
  • Cardboard - Foil-lined
  • Cardboard - Waxed
  • Cassette & VHS Tapes - Non-working
  • CD/DVD - Non-working/Non-commercial
  • CD/DVD Jewel Cases
  • Child Car Seats - Non-working/Expired/Accident
    Consider removing all straps and covers to offer to another family with the same model. Include a photo of the assembled car seat and brand/model. Rigid plastic base with any foam removed (trash) may then be possibly collectd for recycling in a bin that fits or for bulky pick up.
  • Christmas Trees - Artificial
    Poor, damaged condition.
  • Cigarette Waste
  • Cleaning Wipes - Used
    Do not flush. Wipes are made from plastic resins, do not degrade in compost, and clog pipes.
  • Clothes Hangers - Metal - Working
    Consider reuse or drop-off at a dry cleaner before landfilling.
  • Clothes Hangers - Non-working
  • Clothing - Undergarments - Non-working
    Poor, damaged condition beyond repair or recycling.
  • Coffee Pods - Compostable
    Compost coffee grounds. Consider investing in a reusable coffee pod.
  • Coffee Pods - Metal/Plastic
    Empty coffee or tea grounds in the compost first. Consider investing in reusable pods.
  • Compostable Plastic Bags - BPI Certified
    Note: If it does not have the BPI certified logo, it belongs in the trash.
  • Condiment/Toiletry Packets - Empty
  • Corks - Plastic/Synthetic
  • Dead Animals
    NOT ACCEPTED IN ORGANICS/GREEN WASTE CONTAINER. Contact vet for pets. Contact local animal control (e.g. deer, neighbors pet, injured or entrapped/tangled animal) or large livestock.
  • Disposable Diapers & Wipes - Used
  • Dryer & Vacuum Lint
  • Egg Cartons - Plastic
    Compost egg shells.
  • Fire Hoses - Non-working
  • Foam Padding
    Poor, damaged condition. Large, high quality pieces may desired for reuse in local community.
  • Food Service Ware - Compostable - BPI Certified Products
    Compost food scraps. No "compostable" plastics in the compost.
  • Food Service Ware - Paper Products - Poly-coated
    Compost food scraps. Empty and drip-free. Consider using reusables.
  • Food Service Ware - Plastic Clamshells/To-Go Containers/Trays
    Compost food scraps. Empty and drip-free.
  • Food Service Ware - Plastic Cups & Plates
    Empty and drip-free. Compost food scraps. Consider using reusables.
  • Food Service Ware - Plastic Utensils
    Consider washing for reuse, or using reusables.
  • Food Service Ware - Styrofoam Products
  • Food Service Ware - To-Go Cup Lids
  • Gel Ice Packs
  • Glassware - Decorative & Kitchen - Non-working
  • Hardware & Fasteners
  • Hoses - Garden/Rubber - Non-working
  • Houseware - Non-working
  • Jewelry - Non-working
  • Knives & Shears - Non-working
  • Lab Glassware - Poor Condition
  • Lab Plastics - Used
  • Leather Remnants & Scraps
  • Light Bulbs - Incandescent/Halogen
    These do not contain mercury and are not recyclable.
  • Medals/Trophies/Ribbons
    Broken, damaged, or unable to be donated
  • Metal Bottle Caps
    These lined with plastic and are too small to be captured by recycling equipment. Consider collecting for reuse projects.
  • Metal Jar Lids
    These lined with plastic and are too small to be captured by recycling equipment. Consider collecting for reuse projects.
  • Microscopes & Accessories - Non-working
  • Mirror - Broken
  • Nail polish - Empty
    Use up nail polish, trade with friends, or bring full containers to the HHW facilities as most nail polishes contain toxic chemicals.
  • Packing Peanuts - Starch-based
    NOT ACCEPTED IN ORGANICS/GREEN WASTE CONTAINER. Collect for future reuse packaging or art projects. May be dissolved in hot water in the sink.
  • Packing Peanuts - Styrofoam
    Bag to prevent spilling during hauler pick-up. Save for reuse as possible.
  • Paper - Carbon
  • Paper - Plastic Laminated
  • Paper Bags - Polycoated
    Empty and free of food and crumbs.
  • Paper Receipts - Thermal
  • Pet Waste
    Even bags of poop in "compostable" bags belong in the trash. Pet waste from vegetarian pets (i.e. rodents) and bedding may go in the compost.
  • Photographs
    Photographic paper is not recyclable.
  • Pillows - Poor Condition
  • Plant Pots - Broken
    Free of dirt.
  • Plant Pots - Ceramic
    Broken, damaged condition. Some folks use these pieces at the bottom of other plant pots to increase drainage.
  • Plant Pots - Plastic
    Free of dirt. Offer good condition for reuse to local community.
  • Plastic Bags
    Dirty, wet plastic bags belongs in the trash. If collected as bag-of-bags for grocery store drop-off, must be clean and dry. Loose bags jam recycling equipment.
  • Plastic Bucket
    Not accepted for recycling. Consider offering for reuse.
  • Plastic Corrugated Signs
  • Plastic Film & Wrap
    Dirty, wet plastic film belongs in the trash. If collected as bag-of-bags to drop at grocery stores, must be clean and dry. Loose film jams recycling equipment.
  • Plastic Packaging - Blisterpak
  • Plastic Strapping
  • Plastic Straws
    Single-use, disposable straws or damaged silicone straws.
  • Plastic Tarps
    Poor, damaged condition.
  • Plate Glass
    Broken, damaged.
  • Plexiglass
  • Polyester Batting/Filling
    Cotton filling may go into the compost. Consider reuse of both materials if in good condition (e.g. pet bed).
  • Pool Cover - Non-working
  • Purses & Backpacks - Non-working
  • PVC
    Scrap pieces.
  • Radios - Non-working
    If it has electronics, consider it e-waste. If it just has a plug, it is electric an may go in the trash. Consider repair. May also go out with household Bulky Pick-up.
  • Rags - Paint/Chemical/Oil Soiled
  • Records
    Broken, damaged condition.
  • Reusable Bags
    Poor, broken condition.
  • Rubber Bands
    Consider collecting, ceaning, and donating to local farms for reuse.
  • Rubber Items
    Poor, damaged condition.
  • Rugs & Mats - Non-working
    Poor, damaged condition.
  • Sawdust - Composite Wood/Painted Wood
    Any wood waste from wood with glues and adhesives belongs in the trash.
  • Shoes - Poor Condition
    Unusable condition by others.
  • Shower Curtain Liners - Non-working
  • Single-use Personal Care & Beauty Products - Used
  • Single-use Personal Protective Equipment - Used
  • Small Household Appliances - Non-working
    Consider going to iFixit to find repair instructions, bring it with you to a Repair Café or FixIt Clinic. May also be collected during a scheduled bulky waste pickup. If it has electronics, consider it e-waste. If it just has a plug, it is electric an may go in the trash.
  • Snack Packaging - Composite Film
    Empty and free of food
  • Sponges - Synthetic
  • Strawberry Baskets - Plastic
    Damaged, broken condition. Return to local market for reuse.
  • Stuffed Animals
    Poor, damaged condition.
  • Styrofoam Blocks
  • Styrofoam Sheets
  • Tape - Used
  • Tennis Balls - Non-working
    Teachers often accept balls with no bounce to cut and place on the bottom of their chairs.
  • Tents and Outdoor Gear - Non-working
  • Tire/Rubber Scraps
  • Tools & Accessories - Hand - Non-working
  • Toys & Games - Non-working
    Poor, damaged condition.
  • Toys & Games - Plastic Parts Only
    Consider posting online pieces as replacement parts for others who may be missing pieces or parts you have.
  • Transparency Film Plastic
  • Tyvek
  • Vacuum Cleaner Bags & Filters
    Used condition.
  • Wigs
    Poor, damaged condition.
  • Window Screens
  • Window Treatments - Non-working
  • Wood - Engineered/Composite
  • Wood - Painted
    Cut to fit in cart or bin such that lid closes.
  • Wrapping Paper - Metallic
    Damaged, torn condition.

Additional Curbside Services:

Special Items

City of Emeryville Waste and Recycling

Emeryville Waste Management, Inc. 

(510) 613-8700 - Business
(510) 613-8710 - Residential

  • Batteries - Household - Non-rechargeable
    Place in zip loc bag on top of recycling cart.
  • Batteries - Household - Rechargeable (up to 5 lbs)
    Place in zip loc bag on top of recycling cart.
  • Christmas Trees
    Set your tree on your day of collection during the month of January. Trees taller than 6 feet must be cut into lengths of 6 feet or smaller. Remove all décor, tinsel, stands, and lights. Flocked trees belong in the garbage.
  • Light Bulbs - CFLs
    Residential accounts can order returnable collection container at no charge. Not collected curbside.
  • Motor Oil
    Single Family Service - Next to carts. Place heavy duty jug with screw top. Hauler can provide container upon request
  • Oil Filters
    Single Family Service - Next to carts. Place in sealable plastic bag. Hauler can provide special container upon request.

Bulky Pickup

Residents and Property Managers contact WM Emeryville at 510-613-8710 for scheduling. See the Emeryville Bulky Pikcup Guidelines for details. Single Family is 1x/yr at your convenience. All Multi-Family properties are eligible; service is dependant on the size and location of the property.

Neighborhood Bulky Pickups take place in April annually. Mailers early in the year give dates and details.

  • Air Conditioner - Non-working
  • Audio & Visual Equipment - Non-working
  • Baby Furniture & Equipment - Non-working
  • Barbeque Grill - Non-working
  • Bicycle - Non-working
  • Cables & Wires - Non-working
  • Cameras & Camcorders - Non-working
  • Cell Phones - Non-working
  • Christmas Lights - Non-working
  • Clocks & Watches - Non-working
  • Computer Accessories - Non-working
  • Computer Monitors - Non-working
  • Computers - Non-working
  • Dishwasher - Non-working
  • Electronics - Non-working
  • Espresso Machines - Non-working
  • Exercise Equipment - Non-working
  • Freezer - Non-working
  • Furniture - Non-working
  • Game Cartridges - Non-working
  • Gaming Systems & Accessories - Non-working
  • Lawnmower - Non-working
  • Lighting Fixtures - Non-working
  • Luggage - Non-working
  • Major Household Appliances - Non-working
  • Mattresses & Box Springs
  • Microwave - Non-working
  • Musical Instruments & Gear - Non-working
  • Office chairs - Non-working
  • Oil-filled Heaters - Non-working
  • Porcelain Toilets & Sinks
  • Printers/Faxes - Non-working
  • Refrigerator - Non-working
  • Satellite Dish - Non-working
  • Sewing Machines - Non-working
  • Small Engines - Non-working
  • Solar Panels - Non-working
  • Sporting Goods - Non-working
  • Stove/Oven - Non-working
  • Television - Non-working
  • Tires
  • Tools & Accessories - Garden - Non-working
  • Tools & Accessories - Power - Non-working
  • Toys & Games - With Electronics - Non-working
  • Typewriters - Non-working
  • Vacuum Cleaners - Non-working
  • VCRs/CD/DVD Players - Non-working
  • Video Projectors - Non-working
  • Washer/Dryer - Non-working
  • Water Coolers - Non-working
  • Water Heaters - Non-working

Debris Box / C&D Service

Contact hauler for details and fees.  Waste Management of Alameda County (WMAC Emeryville)

Residential: 510-613-8710, Commercial: 510-613-8700

C&D Requirements

  • Asphalt
  • Bricks
  • Bricks - Broken
  • Carpet
  • Carpet Padding
  • Ceiling Tile
  • Cinder Blocks
  • Cinder Blocks - Broken
  • Concrete
  • Concrete With Rebar
  • Construction & Demolition Debris
  • Doors
  • Drywall
  • Ferrous Scrap Metal/Steel
  • Flooring - Non-working
  • Insulation - Used
  • Lava Rock
  • Metal Pipe
  • Mixed Debris
  • Non-ferrous Scrap Metal
  • Rock/Gravel - Clean
  • Roofing - Asphalt Composition Shingles
  • Roofing - Clay Tile
  • Roofing - Concrete Tile
  • Roofing - Tar & Gravel
  • Roofing - Wood Shingles
  • Sand
  • Soil - Clean
  • Tile

Additional Information

A new organics and recycling law goes into effect January 2022

A new California State law, SB 1383, aims to keep food and other compostable materials (“organics”) out of landfills to reduce emissions that contribute to climate change. Under the law:

  • Edible food currently thrown away must be recovered and donated for people to eat,
  • The remaining organics must be collected for composting,
  • Recyclables must also be kept out of landfills.

Starting January 2022, SB 1383 regulations will be implemented in Alameda County under the Organics Reduction & Recycling Ordinance through a partnership among Alameda County jurisdictions, garbage service providers, StopWaste, and the Alameda County Environmental Health Departments. The existing Mandatory Recycling and Composting Ordinance in Alameda will be repealed.

Learn more at:

Who is affected by the new law?

The new law affects all generators of organic waste, including:

  • Businesses, institutions, and non-profit organizations
  • Multifamily property owners or managers of buildings with 5 or more units
  • Residents in single-family homes, apartments, and condos
  • Schools (public and private)
  • Government agencies, such as state agencies and park districts

For free resources and assistance to help comply with the new law, visit:

For Businesses

Emeryville provides free or low-cost indoor waste-sorting containers for businesses.

Illegal Dumping Information:

Report through SeeClickFix in the category of trash. 

Report dumping along the freeways and off-ramps to CalTrans noting the Situation Type as Litter - Trash & Debris. For railroad right-of-ways locations, report to Union Pacific online or by phone 1-888-877-7267. 

For hazardous materials or chemical spills incidents, call: Alameda County Environmental Health - (510) 567-6700

For illegal/unlawful spraying or dumping of a pesticide, call: Alameda County Agriculture Commissioner's Office  - (510) 670-5232

Questions? Comments?   We're here to help!      Get in touch!

Brought to you by A public agency reducing waste in Alameda County since 1976.

Grab the mobile apps for answers on the go:

Download on the App Store
Get it on Google Play